Sunday, February 17, 2008

Bienvenido!

Hello ladies!

Lovely to be here and to be part of this very exciting new group of Chilean-men-(and-Chile)-loving people! Well, my name is Tamsin (or Tam, or Tams, or sometimes even Tam Tam) and definitely NOT Tapsin which is a very well known brand of cold/flu medication here; when I first introduce myself to Chilean people I always get a funny look as they seem to be completely incapable of differentiating the two names. And no it's really NOT funny.

Anywho, I left the UK in January (just as Winter arrived in its full frosty glory) and arrived into Santiago to be with my fiancee, Anibal (prounounced Aneeehbal).

It's been just over a month and I am slowly starting to settle nicely into Chilean life. Lots going on at the moment so life is pretty good. And especially since meeting these fellow girlies. It's good to know I'm not the only loony who packed up, left home all in the name of sweet love.

Do bear with me as I'm still pretty new to the country and will no doubt be posting a lot more in the months to come. . .

For now, I'm going to enjoy my palta on toast (typical Chilean breakfast of avocado on toast, delish) and enjoy the Santiago sunshine on my balcony...

Hasta pronto!

Tamsin

3 comments:

Maeskizzle said...

Hahahaha. That's funny. Tapsin. I totally understand both your dislike for being called Tapsin, and how easy it is for a Chilean to make that mistake, and then to think it is funny that your name sounds like Tapsin. I recommend inventing a pseudonym especially like when they ask you your name at Starbucks or Telepizza, and other suitable occasions. My name is Heather and boy do they butcher my name too. I respond to almost anything that sounds remotely like Heather-Hey there, Hethrín, Heder, whatever. But your case is by far worse! Heder is the most common Chilean spelling of my name. Though one of my capoeira friends spelled it geder the other day. I kind of like that spelling. At Starbucks and Telepizza I go by Daniela. Hahaha. It's true. That way I cut us both a break.

Mama in Chile said...

Funny you say that but I always use a different name at Starbucks, saves me a lot of hassle I think! But even in England I had problems, it was always either Tamzin, Tamzyn or Tazmin so I guess I´m pretty used to it...
By the way my fiancee is also from Viña and just like you we came to Santiago aka job capital. We´re back in Valpo and Viña most weekends though...
Looking forward to meeting you!

Mamacita Chilena said...

You guys are geniuses, I'm going to start using a different name at Starbucks too! Why didn't I think of that before?!?

My concierge thinks Kyle is pronounced Kill. I feel like he thinks I'm a mass murdered or something!